Wednesday, May 22, 2013

As The World Turns....

Working through a busy schedule today of individuals that have at one time or another, lost track of reality due to psychiatric issues I found something interesting.  A new understanding that I thought I already was aware but obviously wasn't because of my satisfaction at the insight.  Addiction, depression and specifically bipolar disorder is not exacerbated by geographic location.  This, I know, is Psychology 101 but for some odd reason this new illumination feels as though its the first time. Most pronounced is the specific behaviors and thought processes shared in men with bipolar disorder.  I find that in those I'm familiar, they hold some belief that they maintain some form of romantic/sexual prowess and go to great lengths to display (paint a picture) their belief to the world.  As I typed the last sentence it came to my mind that in doing so they are presenting a falsehood in attempt to lure an unsuspecting female.  Fact is, one male with whom I am familiar, only displays this behavior when he is moving into a manic phase and only to entice a woman into what will become an abusive relationship.  I guess it is a survival mechanism allowing him to cope with the severely damaged life he has created.  Couple this with the fact that alcohol and other illicit substances are firmly anchored in his daily existence, it reveals severe insecurities.  It's really pathetic! Looking at his track record (psychiatric hospital admissions and legal issues) in conjunction with his current cycle (Casanova syndrome), it won't be long before he once again crashes, finding himself  again hospitalized or incarcerated..  All because he is too stupid to embrace psychiatric assistance and hold to healthy boundaries.  It's important to develop an accurate introspective inventory but I guess for some it is easier to cope with not truly knowing oneself.

No comments:

Post a Comment