Saturday, November 24, 2012

Post Thanksgiving Ponderings

I find myself sitting back today watching some football and thinking about a successful Thanksgiving. Thoughts of all the things and people in my life for which I am truly blessed. I am thankful for my family- wife, sons and grandson. I am thankful for my parents and the education my father worked hard to make sure that I received and as a pass thru, the work ethic he bestowed to me by example. Regardless of what some may think or say, I am thankful that the education and work ethic has allowed me to have material things such as a nice house, nice cars and many "big boy toys". Even more so I am humbled that I have the ability and means to give the "wants" and not just the "needs" to my wife and children. "Things" do make life more enjoyable. I look back at the early years of our marriage, the "just starting out time" when we were determined to make life the way we wanted with no ones help especially those who said "we would never make it". We had big dreams then and everyone around us wanted to make sure we "understood reality". The days of Spam and beans has give way to steak and lobster but we are comfortable knowing that aside from our cholesterol, we would fare just fine that way again. Truth is, we are survivors and strip away all and we would remain "just fine". The difference is, we realize our blessings aren't "rights". We understand that the world owes us nothing and we are "entitled" to absolutely nothing. It comes down to knowing who you are and where you come from. I know we could live off the land just as well as living in the isles at Whole Foods. Reality is that to have something you have to fight to get it and more importantly fight to keep it. As most know its a struggle to make ends meet and it is only getting more difficult. Today people are too willing to give up.... To take the path of least resistance or to live a deceitful life always trying to take the things and people that one has fought so hard to maintain.
It's those parasites(criminals) that feel they are "entitled" to the things they desire. It's those individuals that has embraced and perpetuated the mentality that has led this country to the edge of disaster. Marriages are destroyed, children growing up without one parent, drug abuse and crime rates are at an all time high. All because men and women have lost sight of what it means to "work" to make their way. The boiler plate is lack of character and integrity. A person who stands up to fight back is said to be a "bully" and "stomps on people" by the parasites. Truth is the "parasite" is so used to getting "taken care of" by the government that they feel that everyone should just give up and roll over while they get exactly what they want. One thing I have to say to that- "Not in my lifetime will I ever just give in!" Don't get me wrong, I will give anyone in need the shirt off my back if need be but should someone, anyone attack the well being of my family regardless of the rationalization in their diluted mind I will never give in and will forever pursue retribution. That's something else I am thankful for in my upbringing in the mountains of Kentucky. I know who i am, know where I am from and I am proud of both. "You can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy!" The mountains of Kentucky and growing up in "Bloody Harlan" instilled in me a desire to "do the right thing" and "to be loyal to my friends and family. The Marine Corp instilled faithfulness and brotherhood (Semper Fidelis- Always Faithful. ). To be successful in life one has to be loyal and faithful to God, Family, Country, Friends and Employers. There is nothing else.... It's that simple and for that I am the most thankful of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment